Joke on the name of long-time bandleader Guy Lombardo (1902-1977). The joke's almost as old as his career, I found a reference from 1931.
Lombardo was a Canadian-American bandleader of Italian descent known as the "King of Corn." His band was the Royal Canadians.
Lumbago is an old term for lower back pain.
- June 26, 1931 issue of Radio Dial mentions he receives many letters addressed to "Guy Lumbago"
- December 1932 issue of student magazine, The Purple Parrot.
- Guy Lumbago and His Boiled Kanadians. "Porky at the Crocadero" (1938), reference to Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians
- Guy Lumbago and His Royal Canadian Cottonpickers (1952)
- A music piece titled "Guy Lumbago plays Lawrence Welch" Jan.-June 1970, by Al Polhamus
- A music piece titled "Lawrence Milk Plays Guy Lombago" by Carroll DeCamp July-Dec. 1970.