A doll of many careers, her first time as a singer was a set of three 45 rpm records with a booklet titled Barbie Sings!, released in 1961. Perennial boyfriend Ken got to duet with her on a few tracks. Perhaps as a tie-in, she appeared as a nightclub singer (with Ken at piano) in the "Barbie the Nightclub Singer" story of the Dell comic book Barbie and Ken #2 (August-October 1962).
Many albums followed sporadically, including some in other languages and countries, but with a strangely prolific burst of American releases in the early 1980s. Don't call it a comeback, she's been here for years.
In the early 1990s, a "Rappin' Rockin' Barbie" doll was released, with a boom box that played "a real rap sound," according to the now cringe-worthy commercial.
Barbie Discography (incomplete)
- Barbie Sings! (Mattel, set of three 45 rpm records with booklet) 1961
- A Happy Barbie Birthday (Columbia #105163) 1965
- "I'm Happy I'm Barbie" (Mattel, 45 rpm single) 1970
- "Fly, Children, Fly" (Mattel, 45 rpm single, included with the Barbie "Fashion 'n Sounds" playsets) 1970
- "A Little Bit Of That Sky" by Ken (Mattel, 45 rpm single, included with the "Live Action Ken On Stage" playset) 1970
- "Rapping in Rhythm" (Mattel, 45 rpm single, included with the Barbie 'Groovin' Gauchos' outfit, no.1057) 1971
- Barbie and Her Friends (Kid Stuff Records KPD 6003 LP) 1981
- Barbie Christmas Album (Kid Stuff Records KSS 5009 LP) 1981
- Country Favorites (Kid Stuff Records KSS 5008 LP) 1981
- Barbie Dance Party (Kid Stuff Records KSS 5010) 1981
- Barbie Birthday Album (Kid Stuff Records KSS-5011)1981
- Looking Good, Feeling Great (Kid Stuff Records 1016 LP) 1982
- Barbie Sing-along (Kid Stuff Records KSS 5019, 6 song EP) 1982
- The Look (Rincon Recordings – R2 70797, LP) 1990
- Beyond Pink as Barbie, Christie and Teresa. (Sony Wonder 63489) 1998