There's a new band made of Robots called Z-Machines that were created by a Japanese professor/artist. See here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23028961 Time Traveller 06:20, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
- Wow, that's awesome! T.Mike 18:35, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
No worries Mike glad to help getting the site up and running more. Time_Traveller
I was just wondering if I should add the band The Wedding Band from the TV sitcom with the same name but have limited information of them though. Time_Traveller
- Sure! When in doubt, add it. We can always rename, move, or delete entries afterwards as needed. Thanks again for all your help!! T.Mike 13:54, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
Can you delete the Gorillaz page if needed as they're a real band but animated. Time_Traveller
- I think we should keep it, I think they are a fictional band. The confusing difference is they were not created for some other medium such as a TV series or book. They were created to be a band, and so release real albums and songs. T.Mike 14:23, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
The alert you get when someone posts on your page is kinda scary.
So when's Jason going to VGG-ify the new wiki? And when's it going live? Alan 05:46, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- re: Jason=Ella Fyno! I could make it live any time. What's your opinion? T.Mike 20:03, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
Probably we should hold off launching it until all the old stuff is transferred over. That'll take a while, though. Alan 23:45, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- That would indeed take a very long time to do by hand. But I am investigating the wiki's import/ export abilities, and maybe I can use that to speed things up. T.Mike 00:46, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
I just noticed that the Help link (http://www.fakebands.com/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Contents) goes to a band entry. Do we not have the help installed?
But as far as your suggestion about categories, that would be great. There's no need to hand-create them, though; we could just use the categories feature: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Categories
So, for example, you'd have http://www.fakebands.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Rocko%27s_Modern_Life instead of http://www.fakebands.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rocko%27s_Modern_Life . Much easier to maintain, I'd think.
To do it, you just put in [[Category:Name]]
--Alan 23:27, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
- Sure, categories just as well, if not better. I know how to make them, but do you know how to make the entry then alphabetize correctly in the category list? do [[Category:Name|Fakenames, The]] T.Mike 01:41, 9 April 2011 (UTC)
I was wondering if you can put any bands on here or just Rock ones --Time Traveller 15:24, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Any bands! Any individual musicians! Any genre! Welcome aboard! Thanks for contributing! T.Mike 16:36, 14 March 2012 (UTC)
Could you create a new Catergory for Sliders as there are currently 2 bands for this show and can you put The Hex Girls in the Scooby Catergory please, Unless i can do it but can't see one for it. --Time Traveller 11:03, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Category for Sliders created and added to Stoker and The Spinning Topps. Added Category:Scooby-Doo to The Hex Girls.
- You can add and create categories yourself, also! You go to Special:Categories and see the full list. Then just put say, [[Category:Scooby-Doo]] at the bottom of the entry.
- One problem with categories- they automatically alphabetize by the first letter of the entry- that means every band name that starts with "The" gets put under letter "T." To fix that, you add the band name WITHOUT the "The" in the category tag after a pipe character "|"; like this: [[Category:Scooby-Doo|Hex Girls]] T.Mike 14:35, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
Can you delete two Categorys called Fictional Characters as i put them as Catergory:Fictional Characters instead of Category which i have changed to this and have done the same accidently to Alvin and the Chipmunks is called Catergory: Alvin and the Chipmunks which i have edited to Category:Alvin and the Chipmunks.--Time Traveller 13:55, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- misspelled categories deleted.
- "Category:Fictional characters" isn't a good idea- Everything could be put in it! T.Mike 13:47, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
I accidently made two versions of Tears and Vomit, one is called Tears and Vomit, and another is Tears and Vomit can get rid of the , out of the Tears and Vomit and transfer the info and delete it plz.--Time Traveller 11:31, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- No worries. I fixed it. In the future, you fix it yourself. Go to the entry with the wrong title and at the bottom is a "Move this page" link. That will let you move the page and its content to the correct title of the entry. T.Mike 13:47, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
Also was wondering if you have a redirect on your site as well, So if there is something with the same name such as Clarence Walker of The Clarences it could be redirected to Clarence Walker page.--Time Traveller 11:50, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Yes. Here's how to make a redirect: Go ahead and create the page/entry, then put this in: #REDIRECT[[name you want redirect to go to]]. That will automatically redirect to that entry. So, create a page called The Clarences, with #REDIRECT[[Clarence Walker]] as the text. Then if anyone types in "The Clarences" they will automatically be taken to "Clarence Walker" instead. T.Mike 13:47, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
Could you change Walker, Clarence to Clarence Walker and the same with Van Cartier, Doloris to Doloris Van Cartier as the names are wrong way round.--Time Traveller 19:31, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Sure, done. I just used "Move this page" link at the bottom to move the page to a different name.T.Mike 13:26, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
I was wondering if Hannah Montana/Miley Stewart/Cyprus is classed as Fictional but she did a Concert in real life though. --Time Traveller 12:38, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
- Hannah Montana is fictional, so enter her, even if she did a concert- I saw Spinal Tap live in concert, but they are still fictional. T.Mike 16:55, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
Also can you delete Catergory called The Venus in Furs as i accidently called it that band.--Time Traveller 13:53, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
- No prob. Done. T.Mike 16:55, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
Can you delete Gordon, Barbi and Jeff as now have edited to Barbi and Jeff Gordon instead.--Time Traveller 19:10, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
- All fixed. I used redirects instead of deleting. Thanks for the heads up. T.Mike 02:05, 1 April 2012 (UTC)
Thought you could need the help to get the site back up and running quicker thats all.--Time Traveller 19:26, 2 April 2012 (UTC)
(um, here or at the disk? well...) Sure thing. Thanks for noticing. Got a few questions, though.
- About the entries, what`s priority? As many lemmata as possible, with all the necessary info? Or every lemma "packed" with every obtainable (ref`d) info?
- About the style. Keep it kinda light-hearted, or in the facts only "wiki-stlye" à la Dark Circle Knights?
- Redirect`s. Lots and lots of em?
- Cat`s. Got some basic questions here. Keep it simple for the occasional reader? Or more complex for the categorize- well -er in the background?
- Cats. What`s with those bloody cats?!? ;)
Regards, Gott 16:33, 9 July 2013 (UTC)