New Wave Nigel
In 2007, the American Idol television series partnered with fast food megacorporation McDonalds to make American Idol toys for their Happy Meals. In 2008, they put out eight cartoony figurines of fictional genre singers including this red-hatted, orange-jumpsuited singer.
The figures each play a different short music clip (no vocals) when their arm is raised.
MTV thinks New Wave Nigel (#6 in the series) may be a veiled version of real contestant Blake Lewis. But one look at the hat will tell you, it's a Devo hat. There were reports that Devo sued over the figurine, and it was even reported in Rolling Stone, but the reports turned out to be false.
- McDonald's debuts American Idol-inspired Happy Meal toys
- Music Lovers Unite! Pick Your Favorite From McDonald's(R) Line-Up of 'American Idol' Happy Meal(R) Toys!
- American Idol' McTwins: Some Familiar Faces Are Coming To A Happy Meal Near You
- Devo Sue McDonald's Over Happy Meal Toy
- McDonalds sued over Happy Meal toy
- Whip It! Devo’s Law Firm Says Band Isn’t Suing Over McDonald’s Doll